Wednesday, November 18, 2015

I forgot my phone, and other tragic events from the day

I think today might be the first time since I've been regularly using a cell phone that I forgot it at home. Of course I feel naked without it. How did anyone ever survive before cell phones, smart phones, and internet access at your fingertips?

I actually don't use my phone all that much - at least not compared to some people. I still prefer using a computer/laptop for internet. Mostly I use my phone for texting, checking the weather, and checking email now and then. So, really, it's not all that bad.

I did have a little bit of excitement at work this morning. My power went out around 10 or 11 am. I had been out on the grounds in the golf cart and it started raining. When I went to open the garage door to put the cart way, the automatic door opener wouldn't work. I thought maybe the battery was dead. So I went back to the office and, sure enough, it was dark. So then I spent the next half hour or so unlocking all the doors on our 11 climate control buildings (each with 2 or 3 doors). They all have key pad entry, and the key pads don't work if there is no power. Of course, not long after I got them all unlocked... the power came back on. Just how things work, isn't it?

I also had a missed call from a police detective. Apparently someone has accused someone else of stealing something and putting it in our facility. Oh brother. I haven't returned his phone call yet. I really don't want to deal with this. The people involved, while all being nice people, are just a little "different." Such is life.

I did have a great time at the Jackson Browne concert last night at the Embassy Theater. We had good seats, and he put on a great show. I will write more about that later.

That's all for now.


Wow, this was like the day from hell. I called the police detective back and he was coming to the office to check our security cameras. I decided to see if I could find anything, and while I was in the back room looking through footage, a guy came in all upset because the three entry doors to the building where his climate control unit was were all blown open and the door frames were bent so bad that they wouldn't close. He just stood there like he expected me to do something about it right that moment. I got rid of him, closed up the camera room, and checked out the doors. Sure enough, all three doors on building 8 were totally messed up. I hadn't had a chance to lock them yet after the power came on, and because of the kind of door they have, they weren't latched. To compound the problem, we had just recently put chains on the doors so they only open 90 degrees. I wasn't sure why we did that, because otherwise they would open all the way (but it's not my decision). I guess it turns out that the chains are what caused the frames to bend. Had they not been on there the doors would have just swung open and been okay.

So... I had to work with the construction people to get the doors going. Then, while doing that, our lone office tenant came and told me they couldn't get their keys to work. There doors were supposed to have been re-keyed last week. So I had to go down and open the door for them and then try to appease them that it would be taken care of.

So, other than forgetting my phone, having a power outage, having some major wind damage, having to be interviewed by a police detective, and the normal issues of a day at work... I suppose it was just another day at work. But I am beat. Ugh. I suppose it could always be worse though.