Friday, January 01, 2016

New year's eve & day

Jane and the "grandcat" on NYE

I've been planning to sit down and record some thoughts from the end of 2015 and the beginning of 2016... but I just haven't seemed to find the time yet. So, here is a simple record of the events of the last and first day, for posterity's sake.

On New Year's Eve I worked at the storage place from 9:30 am - 3 pm. I'm not sure why we quit at that time (instead of 5:30), but I didn't argue. After work I took a short nap, then we had dinner reservations for 7 pm at Biaggi's with our friends the Feichters. We have gone out to eat with them for the past several years on NYE, as well as every couple months in between. Our sons were in the same grade in school, and we just kind of seem to click with them.

For supper I had the chicken parmesan and Jane and I shared a bottle of Cabernet. It was really good, and I was stuffed. I'm not sure why we don't go there more often. Sure, it's on the expensive side, but it is always good. I kind of like the place too.

After we ate we went to Drew Carrie's to babysit while they went out partying for the night. All three kids were already in bed when we got there, so we chatted with Carrie and Carlie for awhile until Jane took them to the party where Drew already was. When Jane got back we watched several episodes of The Americans on Amazon Prime. We splurged and bought season 3 a couple nights ago. We're kind of addicted to that show now.

On New Year's Day we slept in until almost 9:30. I really don't even remember what time we got home from babysitting, but I know it was early in the morning hours. Around 11 am we went to The Bluebird (formerly Spyro's) for brunch. We intended to go to Spyro's on W. Jefferson but they were closed. We used to go to what is now the Bluebird when it was Spyro's almost every Saturday, but since it changed hands the service seems to be really bad. The food is still good though, so we picked that over Azars. They upheld the same terrible service and then their credit card machine would not take my chip card, and it was just the same usual hassle that it's seemed to be since the new owners took over, so we will not likely be going back.

Anyway, after that we went back to Drew Carrie's and babysat Caleb while DC took the older two kids to a movie. I think this was Benny's first movie. Caleb refused to take a nap, but he was really good and we had fun. I watched most of the Michigan/Florida bowl game. We also enjoy their new kitten. One of the mellowest cats I've ever known.

When DC and AB returned Jane and I headed straight to the movie theater ourselves and we saw the new Star Wars movie (The Force Awakens). I thought it was okay, but I have to admit that I am just not up on the Star Wars stuff. I was confused that the guy in the dark helmet was not Darth Vader (plus I always refer to him as "Dark Helmet" in reference to Space Balls), and I don't have a very good frame of reference to the characters in general. It was still a good flick, but don't take my word for it as far as any kind of review. I wasn't real taken with any of the new characters, or old.

After the movie we came back home, Jane is making chicken taquitos for supper and - once I get done blogging this - we will probably watch The Americans some more; or else a bowl game. I have no idea what football games are even on. We only get network TV off an antenna, so who knows.

So... that's really all I've got for the end/beginning of this year so far. Hopefully someday I will be able to take some time to sit down and think about things in a little larger scope.