Tuesday, February 09, 2016

Super bowl 50 thoughts


This past Sunday was Super Bowl #50. The Denver Broncos beat the Carolina Panthers 24-10. This probably seems a bit hypocritical to follow up yesterdays post with. I guess it is what it is. Below are some random facts and thoughts of mine.
  • We watched with a small group of our friends at Mike's house. It included: Mike, Dave and Joni, Kenny, Greg, and Jane and me. Jane and Joni provided the fixin's for a fabulous baked potato bar. 
  • Oddly enough, Jane and Joni seemed to be much more "into" the game than any of the guys. 
  • It always strikes me as strange how, for as important as this game is, no one ever seems to remember who played in or won even the previous year's Super Bowl. 
  • I can't recall all the commercials, but some that stood out to me: the Doritos sonogram, the Bud Lite "big caucus", and even though it was creepy and few will say they liked it, the Puppy-baby-monkey was among the most memorable.
  • I didn't think it was a very well played game from an offensive standpoint, but man does Denver have a good defense.
  • Speaking of which, I was happy for Wade Phillips. I have always liked Wade. Felt bad for him when he tried to be a head coach, but is there a better coordinator in the game? I imagine his dad is mighty proud of his son.
  • This won't be very popular, but if I'm honest, I'm not a big fan of Peyton Manning. Sure, he is gracious and well versed in dealing with popularity, but I'm thinking he could also be a pretty difficult person to get along with. I think he does what he does to market himself so he can make oodles of money. I didn't care for the Papa Johns and Budweiser plugs after the game (both of which made him more money, even if Budweiser didn't pay him to do it). However, I don't blame him or dislike him either. 
  • I probably have a bigger issue with all the supposed Indianapolis fans who switched their allegiance to the Broncos when he signed there. He does not belong to Colts fans, and seriously doubt he shares the same sense of loyalty. 
  • Along with this - and I'm really not intending to bash Peyton - but my guess is he will be playing next year. I don't think it will be in Denver, but he just doesn't seem the type that can walk away on his own. I could be wrong, but that's what I think. 
  • As for Cam Newton, I feel sorry for him. He is a great talent, but very immature. I thought he looked freaked out from the very beginning. And, please, spare me any racist crap. HE brought that up before the game, and his pouty fit afterward was uncalled for regardless of color, age or gender. He is arrogant and a poor sport. Why is it being racist to say that? Hopefully he will learn from this, though, because I would hate for this to harm what could be a great career and life otherwise.
  • I thought the two star players of the game were Von Miller and Demarcus Ware. Von definitely deserved the game MVP, and I was happy to see DW have a great game (as a former Cowboy).
  • As for the music... I thought Lady Gaga did a superb National Anthem before the game. Even as a not-overly-patriotic pacifist, it really moved me. The halftime show was fine by me too. I'm not very familiar with Coldplay, and I don't care for Beyonce at all, but Bruno Mars was good (though not very familiar with him either).
  • All in all, it was an entertaining game, nice commercials, good food and friends, and I have no complaints. Is there any one event that brings people in America together better than the Super Bowl? I think it's about so much more than sports.