Tuesday, April 12, 2016

I can do it (getting oriented to y germs)


Last Wednesday night Jane and I had our wellness orientation at the YMCA. At least I think that's what they call it (seems like it's something else, but you get the idea). We showed up at 7 pm and this girl took us around to all the exercise equipment and showed us what it was and how it worked. It wasn't overly thorough, but it was actually helpful to me. It seems every time I'd been there it was always a mass of confusion - what with people running around and coming and going and all the activity going on. So it helped slow things down for me, and she made us get on each machine and actually show that we understood. Like I said, it was helpful.

We looked at the cardio area (treadmills, stair-climbers, bikes, etc), as well as the weight machines. She did not take us downstairs where the real weight lifters are though. I don't think we're quite ready for that yet.

Jane has already been working out - before and after work - and she's even been to several classes in the early morning (like 5 am). I have yet to do anything, and here is perhaps the biggest obstacle for me: the germs. I don't think I am bad about it in general, but I do try to avoid touching door handles, railings, and light switches and things like that with my hands. I'll use my elbow, pull my shirt sleeve over my hand, or something. When going through the orientation, however, I realized I was going to have to get over this. I probably can't wear gloves to work out. So... one of these days I'm going to give it a try.

So, that's where I'm at. Geez, getting old and being weird like this is just nuts. At least it's still laughable for me. I mean, I know it's ridiculous. But I will overcome. I will. One of these days.