Tuesday, November 07, 2017

Furnace fix (leaf removal)


So, we got the furnace fixed yesterday. I had to break down and call the repairman when it stopped working for the second time. Saturday night it seemed like all of a sudden it was just turning on and off all the time, and it was like the burner would flame out as soon as it tried to kick on. I should have known what it was.

It was a stinking LEAF blocking the intake pipe! Ugh. The repairman knew it as soon as he opened the door on the furnace. He spotted a leaf particle, and when he turned it on and saw it snuff out the flame he immediately went outside and removed the cover on the intake/exhaust.

He said while he was here he might as well inspect everything and do a simple service/cleaning, since I was going to be paying for that anyway, so I had him do it. He was a super nice guy. I called Doc Dancer, since that's who had installed the furnace. I filled out an online service request Monday morning, got a call not long after they opened from a super nice lady, and the repairman was here early afternoon. It was a good experience.

It ended up costing $103.95, which is more than I would have liked to have paid, but it's a lot better than having something seriously wrong.

I guess the positive is that I will now know what to do the next time this happens. I imagine these furnaces that vent out the side of the house can get ice and debri in them fairly easy, so I'll be prepared the next time (hopefully).

You live and learn...

No comments: