Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Trip to atlanta


Jane and I made a visit to son Isaac and his bride in Atlanta, Georgia this past weekend. We flew down, leaving on Friday and returning yesterday (Monday).

While there we visited the High Museum of Art in downtown Atlanta. I took several pictures which I will share later (I was surprised they actually encouraged picture-taking). Other than that we pretty much just lazed around their new digs, played cards (rummy), watched a movie, and made the mistake of going to a bar to watch the Falcons/Cowboys game (Cowboys got hammered). It was a nice time.

Our flights were all pretty good. We flew from Ft. Wayne to Chicago and then to Atlanta (reversing the order on the way home). Ft. Wayne to Chicago only takes 30 minutes of air time. We had a 3-hour layover on the way there, and it turned into something like 7 or 8 by the time it was done. The plane we were supposed to take from O'Hare to Atlanta had something wrong with the landing gear. They first tried to fix it but ended up having to get a different plane. I think we changed gates 4 times. We did make good time once we got going. I think we made it down there in 1 1/2 hours, instead of the usual 2. Coming home we had the same 3-hour layover in Chicago, but it went as planned.

Isaac and Ricci are now living in a different house than when we had visited before. They are house-sitting for some people for a year. It's a huge house, and nice, and they're living there rent-free, but I think the people kind of come and "visit" quite often (overnight). It's also a little farther from where they both work, but we enjoyed having our own bedroom and bathroom while visiting. There are actually 4 bedrooms, 5 bathrooms, plus a full finished basement. It's a pretty nice house but maybe hasn't been kept up very well. It also includes an extra dog beside the 2 they already have. Olivia was very nice though.

Crosby

Tig

Olivia - the 'other' dog
The High Museum of Art was very cool. I wouldn't classify myself as an "art lover," but I can appreciate some of it. I find it amazing how some paintings can really "speak" to me - sort of just stop me in my tracks. I also like how the longer you stand and look at a painting, the more you begin to see. Anyway, I enjoyed it and will share some of the pics I took in a separate post.

One night we did go to the basement and watch a movie - otherwise they do not watch TV. We watched The Meyerowitz Stories, with Adam Sandler, Ben Stiller, and Dustin Hoffman. It was really good and I was particularly, and pleasantly, surprised by Sandler and Stiller. I'm not a huge fan of their comedy, but I thought they were outstanding in this drama.

So, that was about the extent of the visit. Fortunately Isaac was at a place in his studies where he didn't have any work to do over the weekend, and he was able to pick us up and return us to the airport for our flights. Ricci had some work to do Sunday, which she was able to do at a Decatur coffee shop while we watched the football game at a nearby bar.

Not sure when we will return for another visit, but glad we got to go this time.

No comments: