Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Eye exam


I went to the eye doctor yesterday. My current glasses - which I got at one of those cheap-y same-day places - are getting scratched and wearing out, plus they haven't been helping with close-up sight (reading). I was kind of surprised it has only been 2 years since I got these (December 2015).

I decided to try the optical department at Costco. Jane went there and really likes her new glasses. So I saw Dr. Teel (the female one) and she said my prescription needed tweaked just a little. I also opted for a little larger lens area so the reading part of my progressive lenses would be easier to utilize.

The exam was fine and I did pay the extra cost for dilation. I figure with my dad's eye problems I need to keep an 'eye' on my vision. The doctor suggested I get my vision checked annually.

Everyone was really nice at the Costco optical department. I'd actually taken Jane there with me the day before to have her help pick out my frames. We narrowed it to two pair. I still couldn't decide so I asked the lady working the counter and she did not hesitate to suggest one pair over the other. It was the same pair Jane picked so I figured I would go with them.

I also opted for a 2nd pair for sunglasses. I wasn't going to, because I usually just buy the clip-on sunglasses. My new frames are a little thicker, plus I thought if I'm going to continue driving for Uber it would be nice to have some GOOD sunglasses, and the 2nd pair were discounted like $40 or something.

The eye exam ended up costing me $94. That seemed like kind of a lot. Even the advertised $60 seemed like a lot, and the dilation was an extra $28, but it seemed worth it. I liked Dr. Teel. The glasses were just under $400 for both pair. The regular frames were $60 and the sunglasses frames were $50. I also got the "blue light" treatment (or whatever) on the lenses (for anti-glare and computer use). That's more than I was expecting to spend but we have a boatload of money built up in our hsa account so.... I figured "what the hey."

I've actually liked the cheap glasses I've had - they are very lightweight - but they are definately a lower quality. The frames and lenses from Costco seem to be much higher quality and I'm hoping I will like mine as much as Jane does hers.

-------------------

Other than that, I've just been working, working out, reading and sleeping. I've been getting 20 or more hours a week at the Y - mostly the 5-9 am shift - and still driving for Uber several days per week. Next month I'm scheduled to not only be working in the membership area of the Y, but also in  the wellness department. I've actually had one client I've been coaching in the Wellness For Life program. He told me yesterday he has lost 17 lbs in the 3 weeks since he started (not that I had anything to do with it).

The driving has been okay. The fun has kind of worn off and now it's just a job, but I still really like the flexibility. I've still only worked during the day and haven't had any bad experiences. The worst has been the lady and her kid I picked up at the grocery store; helped load their shopping cart full of groceries into my car; listened to them argue all the way to their house; helped carry their groceries into the house; and then not only did she not tip me, but I believe she gave me a 4-star rating! That's been my only non-5-star since I've started. Oh well.

So, that's about it. I need to carve out some more time to write, but I honestly just haven't had all that much to say lately. Today is granddaughter Anna's 7th birthday, so I will probably write about that tomorrow.

No comments: