Wednesday, January 10, 2018

It doesn't mean I'm not listening


This morning I had a conversation with someone who apparently designated themselves a spiritual mentor to me. I was not opposed to the idea, and I like this person, but it still kind of caught me off guard.

Anyway, at one point they asked what I felt (or heard) God was saying to me in my life right now. Over the course of my journey with Jesus there have been a few people who have asked me this. I've asked people the same thing myself. I believe it's a good question for contemplation.

If I'm honest, there are times when I'm not hearing anything from God - and it's because I'm not LISTENING. I'd say most people are like that much of the time. We're more concerned with simply getting through our day than in trying to discern where or what God might be leading us to.

I didn't really have an answer this morning when asked what I thought God was saying to me. Partly because I wasn't prepared for the question from this person and in this situation. After thinking about it for awhile now though.... I still don't have an answer. In fact, I'm not so sure maybe God isn't saying ANYTHING to me at the moment.

Does God always need to be speaking to us?
Is there ALWAYS some place he's trying to get us to go? 

I mean, what about the Israelites as they wandered around the desert for 40 years? Or what about Jesus as he prayed in the garden??

I believe God does sometimes "speak" to us - in a variety of ways, whether it be a feeling, dream, his Word, or some other such means - but I also think it's true that...

 ...sometimes he is just silent.

So, if we can't answer the question, "What's God been saying to you lately?" it doesn't necessarily mean we're not listening. It might just mean he's not saying anything at the time. And there's nothing wrong with that.

All that said, though, I do want to be more intentional about listening for God's voice. Even when silent, it can be pretty amazing.

1 comment:

Whisky Prajer said...

There is someone in my family who is constantly getting messages from God. He is one of these "big picture thinkers," forever keeping his entire family on the move. We, the extended family, get frequent updates on God's leading here or there. My typical response is, "That is some ****ed up ****." I mostly feel sorry for the wife. But, hey, they've been married longer than we have and the kids all seem more well-adjusted than most. The Lord works in mysterious ways, I suppose. But in my case He's telling me to spend the day on the couch.