Sunday, March 11, 2018

First run outside


Oddly enough, considering yesterday's PF post (which should not be all that surprising since I am such an odd fellow), I did my first outside run of the year yesterday. Jane and I ran 7 miles at a 10-minute-mile pace. It took a bit of adjusting my lungs to the cold, but otherwise I felt surprisingly good.

We ran down to the greenway, up around Foster Park, and instead of returning on the route we came, we cut across the Foster bridge and took the new trail along Bluffton Road up to Lower Huntington and back home. It was almost exactly 7 miles and we didn't have to do any backtracking.

I recognized/remembered right away that I do not run the same outside as I do on the treadmill. My foot-strike is much better running outside, and will hopefully help with the plantar fasciitis. I run on the front part of my foot more, which should help with the heal pain and strengthening the foot. I also reminded myself to run like a child on the playground: shorter steps with the foot going more up and down (no reaching with my feet).

I didn't feel too bad after the run. I had a little heal pain, but I took some ibuprofen, iced the bottom of my foot several times, and wore compression sleeves down to my arches to bed last night. My feet felt surprising "okay" this morning.

Hopefully if I can keep up the foot exercises, use compression socks and sleeves, and eventually invest in some new shoes designed more for plantar fasciitis, I just might survive. We will see. I am slightly encouraged after yesterday's run.

I also plan to do less running - maybe 3 to 4 days per week - and run fewer miles (only 1 long run per week). Then I'd like to incorporate more consistent weight training, and use the elliptical more often for cardio workouts. Again, we will see...

No comments: