Friday, June 15, 2018

Marathon training schedule


I believe I mentioned that I am planning to run a marathon later this year. The full 26.2 miles. This will be my first attempt so I thought I better use some type of program to keep myself on schedule. There are many free ones available online, but I like these and had them recommended to me.

I haven't been following either one exactly, but am using them as a guide. I was already running more mid-week, especially than the novice 1 program, and I prefer a Monday-Wednesday-Thursday schedule for my mid-week running, but it gives me something to go by - especially the long run schedule.

My Saturday's are going to be a bear, but overall I think this looks doable. I'm not currently planning to do any sprint work, and I've dialed back weightlifting to just two days per week. I may eventually eliminate it altogether but for now, I'm still trying to add some strength.

Originally I was going to try for a certain time in this marathon. Most recently it was to beat Oprah's mid-90's time of 4 1/2 hours. I think I'm going to forego any of that nonsense though and simply be happy to finish. I'm no spring chicken, so I have to be extra careful of injuries and/or wearing myself out. Besides, there is a big difference between finishing and participating. So finishing is my goal right now.

It's still a long way off, but at this point, I'm a little bit hopeful. That's quite a lot for me. I realize a lot could happen between now and then, but there is at least a plan, and this is it.

No comments: