Saturday, July 14, 2018

New gps watch / runners on parade / 14 miles


Throwing several things together today. For starters I finally got a new GPS running watch.

My old one - the brand shall remain nameless because Nike totally SUCKED in how they handled it - still worked fine, but said company decided to no longer support their expensive running watches. Once the memory was full, that was it.

I did a lot of research on running watches the past few weeks, and despite a lot of negative reviews, I finally opted for the Timex Ironman GPS. Several reputable sources selected it as the 'best GPS watch under $100.'  The things I liked best though, were (1) It was on sale for only $74 online, and (2) It is THE MOST BASIC GPS WATCH THAT HAS EVERYTHING I WANT/NEED.

All I use in a watch is distance, pace, and time. And that's ALL this watch does! I think I may have finally figured out how to change "average pace" to "actual pace" today so we will see. So far it has worked pretty well.

RUNNERS ON PARADE
Jane and I ran another 5k this morning. During Fort Wayne's Three Rivers Festival they have a race called "Runners On Parade." The reason for the name is because it's a 5k that follows the festival parade route (not that the parade is a 5k).

It's a nice race, and we've participated before. It's one of the few "money" races I know of in Fort Wayne. Not that we would ever win any money - there were quite a few runners for this event - but it is fun running along the parade route and having a crowd of people cheering for us.

I'd guess we finished in right around 30 minutes. We were averaging just under 10-minute miles. Daughter Carrie was nice enough to snap this pic of us.


FOURTEEN MILES
The 5k was only a part of my running today. I was scheduled to do 14 miles, and it worked out just about right that if I ran from our house to the start of the race, ran the race, and then ran home again, it was almost exactly 14 miles. So that's what I did.

I left home at 6:30 am, and actually ran that 5 miles faster than I planned into the downtown area. I averaged right about 10-minute miles. I met Jane at the Central Y, ate a gel, changed my shirt, and we headed for the race site. We had about a half hour wait until the 5k started, and walked a little over 1/2 mile to get there (giving me the 5.5 miles I needed).

At some point I messed up pausing my watch, but I was also using the running app on my phone. Unfortunately, I messed that up at some point too, so I'm thinking I may have finished with a half mile more than fourteen. Oh well.

After the race, we talked to Carrie, then parted ways. Jane went to the farmers market, and I took off running again (after another gel and shirt change at the Y). I took a slightly different route home which allowed me to get a drink at Foster Park, but it also added that 1/2 mile. At any rate, I pretty much died at 13.25 miles (or what I think was actually 13.75), so I walked the rest of the way home.

Once home I threw my legs up the wall for awhile, re-hydrated, and then soaked in the tub. As I was getting out of the tub I slipped on the mat and fell kind of hard on the edge of the tub. I'm hoping I just bruised my ribs, but it hurt like heck.

So, from a new watch to sore ribs. All in a Saturday's run...

No comments: