Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Where are they supposed to go?


I've been thinking about this for awhile now... and I can't seem to find the words to even address it. So let me just write for awhile and see what comes out...

I see a fair number of homeless and under-served people in my work downtown. I am also familiar with some folk who have various mental health issues, criminal records, and other types society would rather not think about. It seems to be common knowledge - even if it's never spoken - that most of the world would like these people to be... elsewhere. If possible, couldn't they just... "go away?"

But where are they supposed to go? Fort Wayne is no different than many cities trying to revitalize their downtown area. One component of this is removing the homeless and other unsightly poorer dwellers - at best attempting to relocate them somewhere on the outskirts of the city. Yet for those with no transportation this only makes it more difficult, if not impossible, to utilize the few services they already struggle to get.

Of course, there's always the oft-mentioned refrain of, "Well, why don't they just get a job?" Well, why don't they? Maybe because they have mental or physical health issues; or a criminal record; Or again, if you already lack resources - transportation, clothes, food, social networks, etc. - a job may be the least of your concerns if you're just trying to make it through the day.

Another thing I've wondered... What about those who have committed serious crimes or major moral failure? Take, for instance, someone accused of child molestation... or a former Catholic Priest... where are these people supposed to go and what are they to do? I'm not saying there should be no consequence for their actions, but they don't just disappear from the face of the earth. They still have lives.

Even someone like me... I committed no crime and suffered no moral failure, yet I must have been so bad at something that, not only was I asked to resign my position, but the people who asked me have still refused to give me a reason or say anything at all for five years since! Granted, no one told me I couldn't hold a respectable job afterward, but by my own admission in the way I've so poorly handled the situation, I don't feel remotely capable of doing such... So where do I go? What do I do? Am I forever sentenced to folding towels and cleaning up people's sweat (or "flipping burgers")??

I still marvel at the people who complain about the low percentage of people who vote in each election. Like we somehow think MORE people voting is going to solve anything. I'm sorry, but I have no such faith in "people" being able to do anything right. You know what people voting has resulted in?? Donald Trump, that's what! Why do we think MORE people voting would make it any better?!?

--- 
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." (H.L. Mencken)

I think the world is full of wrong answers (many of which are really questions): "Why don't they just get a job?" "Why don't they clean themselves up?" Why don't they learn to function as part of society?" Or... "They should have known." "They should have thought of that before they ______." "They need to learn their place." And I could go on...

What do we do with the people society does not want? Where are they/we supposed to go? How then should we live???

Usually it's the people who have never been in such straights who believe they hold the answer. Yet, if you've never struggled with an addiction... you can't possibly know how to deal with one. If you've never been depressed... you can't possibly know the battle within. If your mind or body has never betrayed you... you can't pretend to relate. If you've never known what it's like to wonder if or when you may ever eat again... you just can't understand.

I have no answers. Shoot, I don't think I even know the questions. What I do know, though, is there are no simple solutions. And yet, here we are. Here we are...

I'm trying to listen, Lord.....

No comments: