Sunday, February 16, 2020

My last doctor visit


This past Friday was my last visit to the doctor I've had for the past 15-20 years. I honestly don't remember when I started seeing him. He wasn't the first doctor I had when we moved to Northeast Indiana. I saw a guy in Ossian, but then he died of a heart attack or motorcycle wreck or something. Then I saw his Physicians Assistant for awhile. Eventually I found Dr. A on S. Anthony Blvd, and I've been there ever since. He actually wasn't accepting new patients, but a friend who was a patient of his got me in. I remember my first visit was a prostate exam. Nice way to be introduced.

He epitomized the "old school" doctor for my time. Not like the old, old school who used to make house calls, but just a step above.

In fact, he told me Friday that he was only one of three doctors in the world who still used entirely paper records. I am not sure if that's true or not - I have a hard time believing it - but I bet there aren't many like him left in the world. There was literally NO computer anywhere in his office. And this was the one and only pic of him I could find on the internets!

Anyway, my bp and heart rate seem to have evened out on the 40 mg of Lisinopril, so he wrote me a 90-day script with one refill, and instructed me to see my new doctor sometime in the next month or two. (My bp was 136/84 and heart rate 52 at his office on this day. He was ecstatic.)

I do have a new doctor lined up. My doctor told me he went to his office last week to check out the doctor and his staff, and he was very well pleased. I thought that was a nice touch. One of those little things I liked so much about him. Like the time when I was out of work and he instructed his staff to not charge me; or the time he spent with me each visit talking about running; or the smile he always greeted and left me with; or the always calm and hopeful demeanor he exhibited... how he would sit and cross his legs and look at me when we talked... and so many things. I will miss him...

So, if my new doctor (a much younger guy) can be half as good as Doctor A, I will be thrilled.

And... I guess that's about all there is to say about that...

No comments: