Saturday, February 22, 2020

What's goin' on: swimming lessons and physical therapy


I haven't had much time (or taken much) for the blog lately. It seems like there has been a lot going on, though it doesn't really take much for me to think there's a lot. It probably hasn't been that much of anything... other than a bit of physical pain, and mental anguish.

SWIMMING LESSONS
On the bright side, we have finished our 7-week swimming lessons! We missed one week, so it was really only six. However, I thought this a very worthwhile endeavor. I can actually say, my swimming improved dramatically in a month and a half!

While it's true we could have accomplished much the same without taking lessons, it's also probably true that we wouldn't have done it (without taking lessons). There's something about the commitment and discipline involved.

Other than the first night - when there was one other man - Jane and I were the only two students for the two teachers. So we basically each had private lessons every week.

I was finally able to get the front crawl/freestyle stroke down (and breathe at the same time!), as well as learn the backstroke, breaststroke, butterfly, and elementary crawl. And I/we can swim laps!!

My main goal in taking lessons was (1) to feel more confident that if I were somehow stranded in a lake I could keep from drowning (for awhile), and (2) to be able to lap swim. It is such good exercise, and I really want to start incorporating lap-swimming into my regular routine.

So, I was pretty happy about how this turned out. I can swim!

PHYSICAL THERAPY
On the not-so-bright side... there has been physical therapy. Ugh. For as positive as swimming lessons were, PT was at least that painful. Oh my gosh! I don't think I have ever experienced pain quite as intense as the scraping on my right foot, ankle and calf. I would literally break into a sweat.

I went every Monday and Wednesday for three weeks. Finally, this past Wednesday, we agreed that maybe I needed a break - if not to stop altogether. Not only was I not improving in the original areas I started therapy for (left knee, right ankle), but it seemed to be causing more damage elsewhere. Plus I simply couldn't stand the pain any longer.

I do have to admit, when she discovered the tender areas on my foot and calf, the therapy was effective in cleaning them up by scraping. It also helped that I started ice massaging my foot and ankle at home, and I learned a ton of good exercises which should help with running. That is, if I can return to running...

So the plan is, I am going to take a week or two off from therapy, and if I think I need to start back in again, I have an appointment already made. Otherwise, I am basically done with it. Whew!

I have to say, this was as mentally grueling as it was physically. I felt like a big baby writhing around on the table during the scraping. But I honestly have bruises in several spots on my right leg! I would dread every Monday and Wednesday because I knew it would not only hurt, but it would damage my pride. And... who knows if I will be able to run again regularly... So, it's a little depressing, and I'm a little stressed about the possibility of losing my identity and pretty much the only thing in life I felt like I could do. We'll see...

---

So, that's pretty much all that's been going on around here...

No comments: