Saturday, July 04, 2020

We painted the shutters

We painted the shutters on our house. We've had the paint to do this project for like... gulp... three years. I thought it would be more difficult than it was. It turns out to not be all that complicated.

When we bought the house it had this ugly light blue front door, light pole, rail, and shutters. Jane painted everything but the shutters a few years ago. This week I finally tackled the last of the light blue fluff! The shutters are now 'espresso' (brown).

(Before) blue shutters

I was a little bored Wednesday afternoon, so even though it was 90+ degrees outside, I decided to try taking the shutters down. It was a piece of cake. Four screws each, and they are light as a feather. I started with the three windows on the east and the one on the garage (4 sets of shutters). I washed them off with the garden hose, dried them, and then painted them. I also washed the siding under where the shutters had been.

Thursday afternoon I put them back up. I discovered that it helps a great deal to mark which ones go where. I'd separated them by window, but not by right and left. I had to take two down and start over because they didn't fit right. Finally figured it out.


Yesterday I did the remaining three windows (front bedroom and two living room). I did the same routine, but I marked these on the back of each shutter with a sharpie to know where they went. I got them washed, the siding cleaned, shutters painted, and reinstalled all in one day.

(After) espresso satin

I do have to say, it looks pretty nice! I really like the brown, and I'm glad we went with a satin finish. Although the original two cans of paint were not near enough. Fortunately, we were able to get the exact same. Altogether it took 4 1/2 cans of this paint.

 



So, that's a job well done (even if it's a little late). :)

No comments: