Thursday, August 17, 2023

New mower blade

Sometimes you never know just how bad something is until... you change it.

I got a new blade for our 2013 Craftsman 21" push mower (model number 247.37037, with a 190cc Briggs & Stratton Platinum 7.25 torque engine, model number 128M02-0952-F1).

It had seemed for awhile I was sometimes more just pushing the grass over instead of cutting it off. Even though I sharpen the blade every year, I admit it's been a little gnarly for a few years now. There are a number of gouges out of the sharp side and whatnot.

So, I checked online (https://www.ereplacementparts.com/craftsman-247370370-lawn-mower-parts-c-158286_173893_491626.html) and felt like $31.11 was a bit much. Instead I hopped over to Menards and got the Yardworks MTD 21" 3-IN-1 blade for $17.99. It was easy-peasy to swap out. And I can't believe how much of a difference it made!

After my 5-mile/+1 run this morning and breakfast, I finally finished trimming the bushes. When I got that all cleaned up I thought I'd run the mower (with new blade) over the now-visible grass I hadn't been able to cut all summer. Once I started though, it made such a noticeable difference, I didn't know where to stop! And I had just mowed yesterday afternoon!! I ended up redoing the one side and part of the back yard again.

I guess maybe I was a bit overdue for a new mower blade.

No comments: