Friday, March 15, 2024

Five things friday

It's here. It's really here. As you feel your way through this Friday...

  1. Our church sings songs from The Porter's Gate, and it turns out The Eugene Peterson Center for Christian Imagination has partnered with The Porter's Gate and the Peterson family to set portions of The Message translation to music. The singles New Every Morning and Happy from the Inside Out are available now for streaming on Spotify and Apple Music. You can catch a little video preview here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prIw3IgaApw
  2. Do you know the name of your generation? You can find out How Do Generations Get Their Names by clicking the link. I don't know if I buy that stuff anymore. Jane and I technically fit into the tail end as Baby Boomers, but we have both identified more as Gen Xers most of our lives. Nowadays I just don't think it's that easy to categorize people.
  3. This morning I had a great conversation about... death. It kinda turned into a simultaneous wondering on resistance. As someone trying to live with a new kingdom perspective there are certainly things to be resisted (greed, group-think, and groping come to mind... because they all start with a g; but there's a boatload more). Yet the majority of people in our society seem most resistant to all things death and dying. Yet that is the ONE THING we are assured will happen. And I'm not so sure it's something to be dreaded in the Christian sense.
  4. The above chat took place in a coffee shop I'd never been to before. Davey's Delicious Bagels & Deli has a super cool artsy vibe and I really liked it. Probably the main reason I'd never been there before is because I had no idea where to park! It turns out that must be a "thing" because on the front page of their website they have a map with giant arrows pointing people to their parking (in back). So I'm pondering the importance of ease of access (or whatever you want to call this). I mean, our church space is in another church's building and we enter through a side door and it's on the third floor. Is getting there half the battle (or fun), and is that a good or bad thing? I dunno.
  5. I am also thinking on this question from James Clear: "What is something you want, but you haven't asked for?"
 Hey... just in case you forgot... it's FRIDAY! Resist those things you know won't be good for you; be open to embracing something only God could have placed in your path. ;)

No comments: