Monday, March 25, 2024

The 19 mile decision

This was it. If I could do the 19-mile run I would go ahead and sign up for the April marathon; if I couldn't... it would have to wait. It all hinged on this run.

Naturally, things started off on the wrong foot when we had to alter our running schedule for the week. Normally we both do 'long runs' on Saturday, but our granddaughter had a mid-morning basketball game and we had to work a concert this past Saturday. So Sunday it was.

Working a concert means we are out late, and I am normally tired after bartending and being on my feet for ~7 hours straight. Plus I hadn't felt great all week (sleep troubles, heart rate issues, tiredness, etc.). Top that off by deciding to have a couple glasses of wine for the first time in several months... and the first hangover I can recall in even longer (not because I didn't use to drink too much, but I think I stopped having hangovers at some point). ...

Anyway, I woke up Sunday morning and I felt like crap. I was congested, hot, tired, my heart rate and stress level never really dropped off during the night... and I had begun to resign myself to the fact that it just wasn't gonna happen. This marathon was not to be.

We were aiming for a 10am start, and finally by 11 we were both somewhat ready to at least give it a try - though neither of us were at all motivated. I figured I'd see if I could just keep up with Jane for her 9 miles but, like I said, I kinda had it in my head I was done.

It was at least a sunny day, and mid-30 temps was almost perfect even in shorts. We did several miles at a super-modest 11-minute pace and... pretty soon I felt fine. Not that my heart rate went down, but it was normal for this pace (130-ish). I swear it's like my body just needs to do this to feel okay. So...

We got done with Jane's 9 (which she killed, btw) and I stopped at the house and re-filled my water bottle and took a leak. By this time I'd forgotten all about whether I could finish or not. I just kept going. I did walk a few quarter-mile stints during the second half because I was trying to stretch it into 4 hours of being on my feet. At one point I was walking down Bluffton Road and ... it was like all was right with the world.  I realized I was smiling for no particular reason. :)

So, I finished 19.1 miles in about 3 hours 45 minutes and actually didn't feel too bad. Sure, I was worn out most of the rest of the day, but during the night my heart rate went back down and I feel darn good this morning.

I've recently started using Tailwind Endurance Fuel on my long runs and I think I like it. After the AFib I started carrying a larger water bottle (21oz instead of 12) and it's the perfect size for the mix ratio. For this run I used two packets (two bottles worth) and I did eat one GU gel around mile 12. Tailwind claims their product is all you need for calories, electrolytes and hydration, but I was feeling a tad hungry so I packed the gel just in case. I probably didn't need it. They also recommend one packet of mix every hour, which would be 4-5 for the marathon. They're kind of big packets, so I'm wondering if I can get by on 3 or 4. I guess we'll see.

I just have the 20-miler left, sandwiched between a couple 12 mile runs and 8 the week before the marathon (well, plus all the mid-week 5-10 mile runs). Unless something crazy happens, I guess I may as well sign up for this marathon. I really didn't expect it to happen what with the ablation a mere month before. Pretty wild. Pretty, pretty wild.

No comments: