Tuesday, March 12, 2024

The first run - again

You remember that first time, right? Whether it's running, playing an instrument, speaking in front of others, asking a girl out, sex... whatever. Sometimes it's the best; sometimes not. Either way there's a certain anxiousness and all these "what ifs." Well, this wasn't exactly the first, first time. However, yesterday was my first run after having the catheter ablation procedure last Tuesday. I was a bit nervous about how it would go.

The doctor told me to take at least five days off from running, so that's what I did. Normally I run on T-W-TH and Saturday, but I was itching to give it a try; plus I thought maybe it would be better to allow a day between the first one and the eight miles I'm supposed to do Wednesday. So, when Jane determined to do her run after work (instead of before), I decided to join her. It was a beautiful sunny 60+ degrees and it felt nice to be in shorts and a tee again - Outside! 

I went the called-for four miles at a nice easy pace (something like 10:23/m). At first it felt awkward, which often happens anyway. I didn't really even think about my breathing, and had decided not to check my heart rate until afterward. As we got going... a couple blocks into it my legs and motion started feeling "normal" again. Jane only needed to do three miles, and I kicked it up just a notch for a bit and did feel a twinge in my chest once, but I don't think it was anything. All told, it felt pretty good. My heart rate never got over 147, so I wasn't even close to maxing out.

My legs felt it more than my lungs, but by this morning I didn't have any stiffness at all. In fact, even though I didn't sleep very well, I think my heart rate actually went back lower than it had been since the procedure. I normally have a resting heart rate in the mid-forties, and it has been running in the upper fifties and low sixties since the procedure. This morning I felt calm, rested, my blood pressure was back down (114/65), my heart was more of a gentle purr than a thump. 

We will see how the eight miles goes tomorrow before I get too excited. I have held off on starting back with the two days a week of weight lifting for now - one thing at a time. Hopefully I can work my way back without an injury and pick up the marathon training minus just the one week. Fortunately this Saturday's long run is only thirteen miles. Next Saturday is nineteen!! 

Here we go!

1 comment:

Jane said...

Glad to get to go on that run with you. Did my heart good to see you out there again. :)