Wednesday, April 24, 2024

Trip to buda; summit city half/quarter marathon

I am back home now. We took a quick trip to the old homestead in Illinois Sunday through Tuesday. Just a visit with my mom, Jane's brother, and taking care of some odds and ends (mainly putting my mom's patio/porch furniture out for Spring). It was uneventful and there were no surprises.

We chose these days (instead of a weekend) because we both ran in the Summit City Half & Quarter Marathon Saturday, we wanted to be in church on Sunday, and apparently Jane has some vacation days she needs to use. 

I/we like the Summit City race because it's local and we like to support it (I get peeved at local runners who won't support local events). I also like that it has a minimal footprint. There are no road closings or traffic disruptions, and a bare-bones volunteer crew. The downside is it's a somewhat hilly course, it's two loops for a half marathon (which I don't mind but some don't), and high winds made it especially chilly and not fun coming up the long stretch of Illinois Road this year. Still, it adds to the challenged and I like it. This year Jane ran the half and I did the quarter (we usually do the opposite) because of our training schedule for the following weekend. I actually ran 8 total miles by starting the quarter, running a mile, then turning around and coming back to meet up with Jane and then run the first loop of the half with her. We can't remember if that was our third or fourth time doing this event.

So, that's about all there is to say about those two things...

No comments: