Friday, August 09, 2024

Five things friday

Do you feel that? It's like the air is. . . different. Is it the Olympic spirit, political possibilities, the weather?? Maybe it's just me. Anyway...

  1. I absolutely love the summer Olympics. A few of my favorite things so far: seeing Cole Hocker win the men's 1500 (and not just because he's from Indianapolis), seeing Armand Duplantis set a new pole vault record (on his third attempt), and just seeing Sydney McLaughlin-Levrone (does anyone else run as smooth and easy, and look so classy afterward?).
  2. Yes, there have been plenty of other highlights for me. Basically all the track events, some of the field events, both men's and women's volleyball (indoor, not so much outdoor), rugby, and I would like to see more of some other events. Things I'm not so interested in: gymnastics, diving and swimming. I mean, it's not that they're not incredible athletes, but those things seem to dominate tv coverage and they last so stinking long. And, I'm sorry, but I do not like that artistic swimming (or whatever it's called). It's like a children's beauty pageant on steroids. Yes, I'm sure it takes great skill and talent, but... it's just kind of cringe-y to me. I am not a fan.
  3. What do I literally detest about the Olympics? The way the media tries to create drama and drags things (other than the actual events) out sooooooooo long. Why can't they just let us watch the athletes/events? And quit trying to convince people they need to be "stars" or "spectacular" to get noticed? I will notice what I want to, thank you.
  4. On a totally unrelated note: According to this study, two aspects of a wedding that correspond to a lasting marriage: a large guest list and a low wedding bill. Nice!
  5. "Christians living in the West today have little grounds for optimism but great reasons for hope." -Mike Woodruff

Alrighty then. They tell me it's Friday. If you're not already smiling, try forcing one... and hold it for a second. Enjoy your day, friends!

No comments: