I didn't use the full title of my old "Five Things Friday" because this isn't a full-fledged ftf. But, I realized I need to write something. If not for you, for myself. So, here's... something.
1. NEW COMPUTER
We got a new laptop. The one I've been using (and still am using for most things) is a Lenovo we bought in 2012. I can't believe it still works.
We bought a refurbished Dell from a guy Jane works with for $300. I have yet to transfer very much over to it, but yowza is it a lot faster! It's not fit for gaming or anything like that - but neither am I. It makes the simple tasks of reading email and online articles a whole lot better though.
2. RUNNING... SLOW
I ran two days this week again. I started back after taking a month off, but only made it a couple days before the back started aching again. So, I took a couple more weeks off. Wednesday was the first run since July 17. I just went a couple miles - jogging 1/4 mile and walking .1 alternately. Today I went 1/2 mile before walking, and did 3 miles.
We'll see how it goes.
3. PROCRASTINATION
I have been having a really hard time with procrastination lately. Not long after I last spoke at church I started work on a new message I thought I was to deliver right about now. That has been pushed back to the end of August. I've basically written two separate messages, but not finished either one.
It seems to take me forever to start writing once I have an idea in mind. Then, I just can't seem to follow through. I don't know what my problem is. I don't know if I simply need to take a break from speaking or writing things again... or if I need quicker deadlines. I'm leaning toward the first, because it's really wearing on me.
I miss my routine of reading, writing, and running. And, by 'writing,' I mean on here. Maybe I simply can't handle the pressure of speaking in church anymore. I dunno.
4. DESIRE
I am nearing the end of Jay Stringer's book Desire: The Longings Inside Us and the New Science of How We Love, Heal and Grow. It's been helpful, but it's a long book. I was thinking of getting the workbook, but, dang, I see it is every bit as long as the regular book. I don't know about that...
5. QUOTE (actually, two - totally separate, but the same)
"Whatever can be measured grabs our attention. How much money we make. How much weight we can lift. How many bedrooms are in the house. And once we notice a number, it is natural to want to improve it. We find ourselves wondering how to make more money, lift more weight, add another bedroom. What is measurable becomes what is important. Not because it matters more, but because it is easier to see..." - James Clear
"We often value what we can count, rather than what's important." - David Brooks
And... there ya have it. Five things. I actually did it. I wasn't sure I could...
No comments:
Post a Comment