Monday, November 28, 2005

Sad Song & Link Wray

Perhaps my all-time favorite song ever is "Sad Song" by an old local band called Windjam. One of my better friends was the drummer. It was just a regular blues/rock band with two girl singers, one of which was a sister to the bass player and guitar player. The two not related were married for awhile. But anyway, on 'Sad Song' the guitar player sang. It was the simplest of blues songs, with the simplest of words, but that song... it moved me.

"This is just another sad song,
play it for yourself.
Just another sad song,
for no body else."

I think those were the only words. And three chords. But... it always mesmerized me.

I had been thinking about that song lately... and also the passing of Link Wray. They say Link invented the power chord for rock guitar. He was still touring and playing LOUD rock and roll at 76 years old. My good friend Jason Ringenberg wrote a song about Link on his last cd (I think, or the one before that). They say he inspired people like Pete Townsend, Bruce Springsteen, etc., etc.. Jason wrote this morning that one of his fondest memories of Link was when they were touring Denmark or somewhere, and this ole' rock'n'roll legend is sitting at a table with a bunch of nihilistic punk rockers... and Link explains to them that the cross he wears around his neck isn't for decoration... it's because he believes in Jesus Christ. And that stuck with at least one of those punks ever since that day in 1985. I was honored on the day Jason asked me if I would do his funeral (when that time comes) because I "know the difference between Neil Young and Angus Young." :) Jason's a good guy. Sounds like Link was a good guy. Danny Bowman (who wrote 'Sad Song') is a good guy. I am proud to have known them and known of them.

But back to my point... Sad Song - so powerful... so few words. Does the heart really need words? It's no secret I am sad from time to time. Not really sad, but moody; maybe even depressed. But that doens't mean it's a bad thing, you know. Like, I think it's my sadness that is my connection to God. Not that everyone's is, but I think mine is. And when I'm in one of those "moods"... that's not only when I look to God, but when I feel closest to Him. Sometimes I think there needs to be a lack of words, or a lack of activity going on around me or in my life... for God to get through. In a powerful way. God doesn't need words. I don't really need them.

I used to have a dream where my "church" would be like a concert venue, or even a club, and my place would simply be to come and read scripture and maybe make a few comments between sets. Because music can touch people in places that words simply cannot. It would be hard not to manipulate, but that was always what I envisioned me doing... loud rock 'n' roll, blues, punk rock, grunge, metal... and Jesus. Either that or I thought of being a touring pastor, a pastor who went on tour with bands to keep them focused and grounded. The first option has already been done - even in Fort Wayne there's a place like that (even though I would do it different). The second option is probably stupid. Like, somebody's going to pay someone to do that. I really think it would be cool someday to work for my son... in his church. But I don't want to tell him that because I don't want him to go into this because I want him to. I just really think that's what God wants him to do though. And it might be a long ways off. But that would be very gratifying... to work for my son, or even just help out. I can see my daughter being a part of it too. They are both so sharp, and so far ahead of where I was then. Perhaps the only thing I have over them is that I have learned to love "Sad Song" and I'm not sure they have yet. Meaning, I have learned to be happy there. That being sad doesn't mean you ahve to be sad. And that probably doesn't make ANY sense to most people, but it makes sense to some (I think).

Well, this is a meandering post. I really wish I could hear Windjam plow through "Sad Song"; I wish I could take in a Jason and the Scorchers show; even hear Link Wray blast a power chord or two. But I will take the presence of the Spirit... reminding me, taking me down these country roads again, dancing my heart, quieting my soul...

It's raining, and warm, and it's fall. I kinda like it. It's peaceful. Think I'll write a sermon. And maybe use words.

1 comment:

Robin said...

But I will take the presence of the Spirit... reminding me, taking me down these country roads again, dancing my heart, quieting my soul...

beautiful

btw, I just discovered how to italicize on posts...cool.