Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Random Thoughts...


This post is going to have some teeth in it.

SNARLING DOG/NEEDY PEOPLE
Last night I was trying to brush our dog. He didn't feel good and his hair was all messed up - which is so unlike him. Anyway, Bogie was aactually snarling at me while I brushed him, so I thought he must not like it. But if I would stop, he would come over and sit right in front of me again. So I would brush him again, and he would start snarling again. Like, he couldn't decide if he liked it or didn't like it. It 'hurt so good,' apparently.

So it got me to wonderin'... is that how people are? I've been a pastor for seven years (this week is my anniversary), and if there's one thing I've learned... it's that pastors need to have thick skin. Because I really think people want someone to tell them things they don't want to hear sometimes - to call them to live better; make better choices; do what they know they should be doing - but they also want to gripe about it. Now, this can certainly be abused, but I think to back away from it you are not really ministering to people. They want to be brushed but they want to be able to complain.

This isn't the case with everybody, but it is with some. And I need to grow much thicker skin.

SO LONG IE; HELLO MF
I made the switch today to Firefox. I haven't figured it out very well yet, but my oh my, how it made a difference in some of the blogs I read. Several of them have the sidebar at the bottom in IE, but they are fine in firefox. Seems to drive pretty good so far.

DENTIST
More teeth. I had to go to the dentist yesterday. Actually, it's more like - I had to go to the dental assistant yesterday (saw the dentist for 2 min.). Got my teeth cleaned - and NO CAVITIES!!! I don't know why I hate going to the dentist so much. Especially since I have the sweetest little dental assistant. Sarah is always so calm, and polite.

While laying there with her hands in my mouth, I wondered... is this what church is like? You know, as soon as they get your mouth open and they start working on you, they start asking you questions. How are you supposed to answer? Do people in church feel like that... like, we're asking people questions, but they're not really able to answer? The worship leader does all the talking and leading; maybe someone else stands and gives announcements or reads something or prays; the preacher preaches AT the people... and if you have a question, or something to say... what are you supposed to do?

I realize some people have addressed this in their worship services. I need to do a better job in mine. Sometimes I do give people the opportunity, and they don't respond... but is it still because they feel like they're strapped down in a dental chair and way uncomfortable? I dunno.

GIFTS
Yesterday I ordered Scot McKnight's book "The Jesus Creed". Paraclete Press is running a special right now where if you order 1 copy, you get 2 more for $1. I told the two pastors that I meet with on Wednesday mornings that they could each have one. Of course they both had a smart remark ready for me. :)

I think that I don't give enough gifts though. I know I don't give my wife and kids enough gifts. I wonder why? I think probably because it takes time and effort to think about others in a conscious way. I need to do that more. And I need to find friends that give more gifts too! :)

ONE LAST THING
Just for the record... I have the BEST kids in the world. My daughter made me cry yesterday with an email containing more kind, and wise, words than I have read in a long time. And it was largely due to something my son had written. Anyway, I am glad their mother rubbed off on them so well. I love you two (and you too dear)!

Peace, friends. Revolution(ate) - any way you can.

No comments: