Wednesday, June 18, 2008

People who like church

Last Sunday Jane and I each had a conversation that blessed us immensely (I know "blessed" is not a part of my normal vocab, but I couldn't think of another way to express it). In the morning as people were arriving for the worship gathering I stopped and said hello to an older lady. She has a few health problems, but not as many as her husband - who is home bound - and she always sits in the very back seat and always leaves before the service is over - I think because she doesn't feel comfortable around people. Anyway, I ask how she is, and she says what she normally says, "Oh, I'm here." I said I was glad she was, and then she stunned me. She said, "I don't know what I would do without coming here each week. It's the only thing that gets me through the week. You people are so nice." I don't remember what I said back to her, but I know I almost immediately teared up and had a hard time saying anything. That was nice.

Then, that night at the concert, Jane said she was talking to a young guy who hadn't been around for awhile. He's been off doing life. She told him something like, "It's nice to see you again," and he said something like, "It feels so good just to be around this place and among these people." And he meant it.

You know... I know there are people who are burned out on church, people who have been used, abused, and whatever else. But not everyone feels that way. It's nice to rediscover that from time to time. Some people actually find hope, redemption, and even salvation in the body of Christ still. I wish everyone did. I am glad for those who do.

No comments: