Thursday, October 30, 2008

Picking a book

I'm trying to decide what to read next. I thought I might opt for an old book from my seminary days that I've already read, like:
  • In the Name of Jesus, by Henri Nouwen
  • Liberating Ministry From the Success Syndrome, by Kent & Barbara Hughes
  • Invitation To A Journey: A Road Map for Spiritual Formation, by Robert Mulholland
  • Celebration of Discipline: The Path to Spiritual Growth, by Richard Foster
  • Mere Morality: What God Expects from Ordinary People, by Lewis Smedes
Or maybe a book I haven't read yet, like:
I can't decide.

2 comments:

Isaac Horwedel said...

I need to read 'Jesus For President' too.

However, if there was one book I could recommend (even though you didn't ask for suggestions) I would read 'Politics of Jesus' by John Howard Yoder. I haven't read it yet but it's definitely toward the top of my list. Basically every discussion I've been in regarding faith and politics has brought up this book (both inside and outside the classroom). I know it has had a HUGE influence on Claiborne and McLaren (obviously in different ways) and a lot of other people. Anyway, I'll probably read it soon so might be worth checking out.

dan said...

Isaac,
Yes, I have heard much about that book too. Good choice.

That also reminds me that I've wanted to read "Resident Aliens" by Haurwas and Willimon; and "Jesus and Nonviolence: A Third Way" by Walter Wink.

Thanks.