Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The yellow finch

There has been a yellow finch knocking at my door for 2 days now. Monday morning I heard a rat-a-tat-tat, and finally decided to go see what it was. There was the tiny finch, down at the bottom of the front door of the church building. When I got closer to the glass he flew away. It was only a matter of minutes before the noise was back. Each time I would get close he would fly away, but he always came back. Sometimes he stood on the ground and rapped the glass, sometimes he stood on the handle and knocked, and sometimes he would fly right into the glass. This went on all day. Then yesterday he/she was back again. The entire day. Most of the time he stood on the door handle and knocked yesterday.

At first I thought maybe he was trying to get me to fill the feeder in our backyard, because he would often fly that way when he left, and I knew it was empty. But Jane filled it Monday night, and he was back the next morning.

Perhaps he is trying to warn me of some impending doom.

Perhaps he's trying to tell me to "get out."

Perhaps he knows that I have had a bad week and he's trying to comfort me.

I really have no idea why this is happening, but it's starting to get a little freaky.

I guess, at least I have a yellow finch at my door. Whatever for.

4 comments:

dan said...

Yep, it was waiting for me again when I got to the office today. Standing on the door handle, peering inside.

JAH said...

Okay, this is strange.... Maybe you should let him in!

Jim L said...

Maybe it heard your "Knock and it shall be opened for you" sermon!

Or maybe it just wants some relief from the heat by being somewhere air conditioned for a while.

Or maybe the angle of light is causing a reflection and it's doing the parakeet thing, you know, seeing itself in a mirror?

I think you should take it as a good luck sign, personally.

dan said...

If it's looking for air conditioning it's looking in the wrong place.