Wednesday, April 13, 2011

My problem with christian music radio

While working on the house lately we have been listening to the radio more than usual. Some of you will be impressed that I have even been listening to a Christian radio station. I really have nothing against "Christian" music - there are a lot of good songs; that I like a lot - but I have to admit that there are some things I really don't like about the station (and stations like it).

Now, first of all, I will admit that I don't listen to the radio much anyway (or hardly at all). I grew up listening to WLS out of Chicago, then got turned on to 8-tracks, cassettes, and finally CD's. I even have an ipod that I sometimes use... But generally I just don't listen to much music anymore. I suppose it is because I am more of a contemplative sort, so usually I am deep in thought about something, and listening to music just doesn't occur to me. The truth is, I sit in silence most of every day. So I might not be the best judge of how to run a radio station, much less a "Christian" one.

That being the case, though, I have a few items I would share with our local "family-friendly" station if they were ever interested in my opinion (which they are probably not). As I already said, I do like most of the music. Christian music had a very big influence in me becoming a follower of Jesus, and growing in my walk with God. So the music is not the problem. What is my problem with it, you ask? Well, let me tell you...

For starters, I don't particularly care for the name of our local station. "Star 88.3," which they advertise as "Fort Wayne's #1 Family-Friendly radio station with uplifting and encouraging music that's safe for the whole family." Perhaps I am mistaken that it's even "Christian"... because it doesn't say that, does it? Being "family-friendly", "uplifting", "encouraging", "safe" - while those may be desirable things, they are not necessarily "Christian" at all. It probably sells better though. And what is with the "Star" part? I've never understood that. Are we supposed to be "stars for Jesus"? Anyway, I just don't like the name. But maybe that's just me.

Second, I could do without the perky-irky radio personalities. Notice I did not call them disc jockeys. I don't think that's a term they can use. At any rate, I have nothing against positive people. In fact, I LIKE positive people. It's that ushy-gushy, in-your-face, constant-cream-filling, over-the-top, cheerleader-like positivity that kinda gags me out after awhile. Now, that doesn't mean I don't like the people. I'm sure MM is a very nice person. But, you know, I don't personally care for the on-air personality.

Finally, maybe the main thing that finally motivated me to write this blog post, is the programming. I can overlook the name, and tolerate the personalities, but I quickly grow tired of the same old songs being played over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. And, I mean some of these songs are like 20-25 years old; and yet in a 2 or 3 hour span I will hear them repeated multiple times. What the heck? Is that all the good music there is? I don't think so. In fact, my limited CD library has more "hits" in it than I hear on any given evening on the radio - much less playing an occasional "non-hit." Not only are the songs repeated, but it's like every day is the same thing over and over and over and over and... Well, you get the idea.

So, should anyone from Star 88.3, or any "contemporary Christian" radio station ever happen across this little blog o' mine... could you please do something about expanding the playlist a little? I really would like to listen to "Christian" music, but it's just a bit repetitive and predictable in its current format. At least in my opinion.

Peace out; and in.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been on an 88.3 kick since Anna was born. I like how listening to uplifting and encouraging music affects my mood. But I'm with you, if I listen too the station too much it starts to have the opposite effect. Can they seriously not find more than 20 songs to play?? I know there are a ton of new songs out that are really great as well as several old songs that they could bring back. As soon as, "I can only imagine" comes on they lose me.

Anonymous said...

Dan,

Everybody agrees with you. 'Most' christian radio stations play the same thing way too much. Yet they are not alone. Ever listen to a top ten station? K-Love out of Pittsburgh has 20 songs they play over and over. What's a guy to do? I switch off between them and Heavy Metal. :-)

Frank

dan said...

Apparently I haven't listened to it as much as you yet, because I still like "I Can Only Imagine." I'm sure it's only a matter of time though.

I agree that it does affect ones mood (in a positive way). That's why I 'want' to listen to it, but they could make it so much better (I think).