Monday, May 16, 2011

It's not all bad

Sometimes it can seem like everyone either hates the church, or at best tolerates her as an irrelevant part of their lives. I have many friends who have either left the church, or have never been a part. Their feelings range from mere indifference to full-blown hatred. Even among those I know who are a part of the church, it seems most of what I hear are complaints or a desire that the church were 'more.' And I understand all that, and have nothing against any of these people. But yesterday I overheard a guy at our Sunday gathering talking about how incredibly grateful he was for the church - and for OUR church in particular. He wasn't talking to me, but I was standing down the hall, and it warmed my heart as I listened to him tell another about how his life had been changed for the better by the people in our little community. I think it was even better knowing that this was a person who had previously given up on the church, but through a relationship we developed outside the church he decided to enter into the waters again... It was nice. That's all I'm sayin'. Nice to know that it's not all bad. And I know that it's not... but sometimes it seems like it is.

Peace out; and in.

No comments: