Saturday, May 03, 2014

Anxiety/depression helps

They say 30 minutes of meditation a day can lower anxiety and depression levels as much as 38 percent - about the same as an antidepressant. I have experienced the help it provides first hand. Somehow I need to get myself back there.

While I prefer a "Christian" approach, I think there can be value found in other traditions too. Here were a couple interesting sources I ran across this morning.

- A Men's Health article "Quieting Anxiety, Depression Without Drugs."

- An interesting website: Franticworld.com... for a book "Mindfulness: An 8-Week Plan For Finding Peace In A Frantic World."

I'm not necessarily endorsing or opposing either. I just wanted a spot to keep them so I could look into them further at a later date.

For today, it will be the 'Jesus Prayer': "Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner."

2 comments:

Tom said...

Sorry, but I've looked at the title to this post for the last few days and it cracks me up every time. I suppose anxiety and depression do help for some things. I'm just trying to figure out what. Maybe a little anxiety would help my kid who doesn't seem to care one twit about his school work. Maybe a little depression would help those overly happy people who seem totally unaware of the inhumanity all around them.

There, I tried.

dan said...

Hahaha... Never thought of it that way. But I think I'm going to leave the title that way... just to drive you crazy. :)