Sunday, November 16, 2014

St. vincent movie

We saw the movie St. Vincent yesterday. It turned out to be a great way to spend a chilly Fall afternoon. I liked it a lot.

I've always been a fan of Bill Murray, but not so much Melissa McCarthy. I was a little worried how they would go together, but it worked. I think she is better in serious roles than comedy.

Perhaps better than that was the point of the film. McCarthy's son is learning about Saints at his parochial school. What exactly is a Saint? I believe many people mistakenly believe they are/were just really nice and pure people. In reality, most people who spend their lives really helping others often aren't that 'nice', and they for sure have a lot of flaws themselves. Anyway, it was a good case-study on how to love your neighbor.

I liked this movie. It is under 2 hours and a worthwhile watch.

1 comment:

MR said...

Bill Gates comes to mind. Not as a Saint, but as someone who has morphed their imaged in the public eye. I say that because I'm sure Bill was always a good guy, but the public image of him at the top of Microsoft was this shrewd, (and therefore) greedy, power-mad megalomaniac. It was funny to hear it all go away when he stepped down to with the Bill & Melinda Gates foundation which has given away billions to worthy causes. Where are those people now who thought he was evil? And what if Bill WAS a shrewd CEO, he had HOW MANY people working for him? Their lives depended on the growth and well-being of his company. Of course he's going to look out for his own, it was his responsibility.