Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Missing the point

I have to admit, it felt pretty good to be in Findlay again hanging with some church leadership folks. I've not had much contact with any people in our denomination for awhile, and it was good to take a class too. There were some discussions that were quite refreshing, but there were also a couple that really made me glad to no longer be 'in that loop.'

One gentleman in particular, whom I had met before but he apparently didn't remember, really amused me. He introduced himself to me early on; he is an energetic sort; he "pastors" a church in whatever region that is. I don't remember what we were even discussing, but I made some comment about Sunday kind of being the "easy" day for our faith - meaning the things we do at our worship gatherings don't generally require so much effort as it usually takes trying to live out our faith the rest of the week. He looked at me like I was an alien and I actually think he believed I was being sarcastic, because he immediately starts telling me about how terrible this past Sunday had been for him. The organist was gone, the pianist couldn't be there, they had to HIRE a musician; then the sound board operator didn't show up... and it totally threw everything into a terrible wad of chaos for him as the pastor. He topped it off by saying, "And there were probably only a handful of people there who had any idea just how difficult it was for me!"

I didn't know how to respond to that. He was being dead serious. I was seriously mystified. I wanted to ask him how he thought that rated among the 'difficulties' some of his people were currently facing in life, but I didn't think it would matter. So I just walked away. Are our Sunday gatherings really THAT important???

Yes... I know... I used to take them very seriously too (Sunday's; worship services). And it's not that they don't matter at all. I don't know... Maybe I missed his point. He missed mine. We were looking at things from completely different perspectives the rest of the two days. I feel kind of bad that I sort of 'dismissed him' from that point on. I don't think he noticed, or cared. He still seemed very excited about his life. I went on with mine.

Anyway, today it's back to my regular job. I haven't even thought about it for the past several days. Whatever.