Friday, June 12, 2015

Tying my shoelaces tight

I mentioned yesterday that I just started tying my shoelaces tight on my everyday shoes. I know this probably means nothing to most people, but it is significant in my life. I have never before tied my shoelaces tight - other than when running, or when wearing the occasional "dress" shoes.

I feel pretty lucky in that I have managed for most of my 52 years to always have a job where I could wear tennis shoes (or running shoes, to be more precise). I have never been a fan of hard-soled shoes. I have also managed to be able to wear shorts or jeans, and t-shirts/sweatshirts. It wasn't necessarily intentional - at least I don't think it was - but it fits my personality and character.

Anyway, I've always had what I consider "sensitive feet." I don't like people messing with my feet, and I don't like wearing shoes that are tight. So, when I was in high school, I was part of that trend of kids who never tied their shoelaces. In adulthood I started tying them, but I have always tied them loose enough that I don't have to untie or tie them again when I take them off and put them on. I prefer my shoes to be very loose on my feet. It saves time, and is more comfortable (to me).

However, as I said yesterday, I recently started tying them tight to try to combat this left heel pain. I don't know if it has anything to do with it, but I'm willing to make this dramatic attempt in order to avoid a more serious foot injury. I'm not sure what I would do if I weren't able to run again because of injury. I'm not sure what I would do if I were never able to run again. Or didn't feel like I could.

So, that's the story of my shoes, and feet.