Monday, March 28, 2016

Easter weekend / parental visit


Easter weekend 2016 is now in the books. I was a little relieved to come back to work and have some peace and quiet today, but all in all it was a pretty darn nice weekend.

My parents came to visit from Saturday afternoon through this morning. I always wonder which time will be the last - especially for my dad. He really seems to have gone down hill lately as far as his memory is concerned. He can hold a conversation for short periods of time, but he doesn't seem to have any sense of reason, and his short-term memory is almost non-existent. He also seems to suffer from paranoia as he really panics from time to time. My mom says he basically can't stay by himself at all anymore or he will freak out because he can't remember where he is or where anyone else is. And he ASKS THE SAME QUESTIONS OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN. I feel bad for him, but he's seriously worse than a small child. It really seems to be aging my mom too. Fortunately they are both in fairly good physical health, and my mom is super patient and able to put up with dad... most of the time. I don't know how she does it.

All that said, though, we did have a nice visit. Saturday was a beautiful day weather-wise and we were able to be outside quite a bit. The Feipel Five came over Saturday afternoon and Jane made us all a great supper. We then hung out until the kids (both older and younger) were ready for bed.

Sunday we took my parents with us to Tom's church. We thought they would like a smaller church better than where we normally attend, plus we're just kind of tiring of a few things at the other place. Tom's place is familiar, comfortable, and we really enjoy the chance to participate in worship and hear sound bible teaching/preaching. We actually had an enjoyable time. Then we went home and waited for the Feipel's to come over for Easter dinner and we seemed to eat and eat and eat and eat. Ugh. It was all good, but I ate way too much, and way too unhealthy. Once again the weather was fantastic! It was sunny and in the mid-70's. So we played outside with the kids for quite awhile. They hunted easter eggs in the back yard and blew bubbles and played on the swings and went for bike rides and wagon rides and... before the end of the night we were all pretty tuckered out.

This morning Carrie came over with the kids and we all had breakfast together. Then she took the boys for their class at the Y, I took Anna to her school (which is always fun walking in with her holding my hand and skipping), and then my parents left before Jane had to be to work at 10 am.

So it was a pretty busy weekend, but also a good weekend.