Monday, May 15, 2017

Expectations


It occurred to me the other day that the source of my current frustrations has nothing to do with anyone but... me! I have let my expectations get out of hand again. This was a big point of discussion when I was in counseling in 2013, and also something I acknowledged in my 'From Burnout To Better' series. So I searched my blog for posts dealing with expectations, and here are a few blurbs I want to remind myself of.

My post 'In Search of Contentment' on 3/13/13:
My counselor told me last week that the place we are trying to arrive at is: contentment. He says it comes about through this formula: Reality/Expectations=Contentment. So, when someone is emotionally unhealthy like me, I either need to change the reality of my situation, my expectations, or both.
The goal is Philippians 4:11-13...
Ultimately everything boils down to trust in God.
...I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength.

From my 'Burnout to Better' series on 1/7/2015:
  • Expectations - This was/is perhaps the most difficult modification for me. I had to learn to live with little-to-no expectations... for anyone. That included myself. A common phrase my wife used to utter when she managed a pizza place was, "It's only pizza." That's how she dealt with a teenage workforce and a mostly-idiot customer base. When something would happen, she would just say to herself, "It's only pizza." I have been saying that a lot, about a lot of things! Life is long, and most things aren't that important. Friends will fail you, most people don't care, we're all a mess, and so it goes. The same goes for me. I seriously disappointed some people, and the world didn't end. We have to get over it. It also helped to change my...
And from my 'Trying to Find Joy and Peace' post from 5/22/13:
You can't find your purpose if you feel like a failure. 
That came to my mind as I was contemplating my latest assignment. My counselor told me that right now I should only be worried about two things.
  1. Do I enjoy doing this?
  2. Does this give me a continued sense of peace?
---------------------------

Ultimately, yes, it's okay for me to get frustrated with people who do frustrating things. However, there isn't a darn thing I can do about them. All I can do is deal with my own level of expectations. So... that's where I will be. Hopefully. Gee. Pee. Wee. Knee...