Saturday, November 26, 2005

Sweet Home, Illinois

Yep, spending some time in the ole' hometown - Buda, Illinois. So far it's been a good trip. We bought Carrie a car; our hometown football team - the Bureau Valley Storm - won the 3A State football championship; we got to see our good friends - the Kopp's - who live in Nepal, and happen to be home right now; plus we've had a good time visiting with family.

We got Carrie a Dodge Neon from a real, live repo man. This guy is quite a character, and undoubtedly has many a tale to tell. The car isn't perfect - it has a few dents - but it seemed to be a pretty good deal. The lady who bought it new was put in jail for something, and the car has been sitting for almost two years, so it only has 28,000 miles. Cool. And Carrie looks really good in it!

We didn't go to the Bureau Valley football game. It was in champaign, and it was cold. But we watched it on TV. My parents are really into it. Probably because I played football in high school. I was actually teh most valuable player my senior season - as a running back. One of my regrets is that I didn't play football at a small college. I could have - had quite a few offers - but thought I had better things to do. Turns out my "better things to do" were som much better. I think it was more that I just had a big chip on my shoulder and didn't want to do what other people wanted me to do. And now I regret that. Anyway, Bureau Valley won easily 34-7. It was exciting. One of Isaac's friends from here - who he grew up with through 2nd grade - made several nice catches as a receiver (Mike Grieve).

Getting to see K & T was good. They have lived away for 12 years now, but they're home for an extended visit. They are the people who really discipled Jane and I and are as responsible for our salvation as any people. After we got involved in church, they were back for another extended visit and they started a small group in our home. That's really when things started to click with us. I am forever grateful. We had a good visit.

It was interesting, while visiting with them, they asked what I had been up to... and I mentioned some 'emerging church' stuff - and Isaac talked quite a bit about it (I think he and Carrie understand it much better than I do) - but anyway, they weren't all that familiar with the emergant type stuff... but they were very familiar with all the ideas and theories. And it made me think... does that come from them having been missionaries for the last 15 years? Is the emergent church stuff really just missions stuff geared for our own people? could be. I will have to think more about that later.

Well, today we're going back out to grandma Pratt's house; taking my mom's computer monitor back to walmart, going to BV to welcome the football team back, and who knows what else. Tomorrow we will go to early service at Bunker Hill. I don't think any of us want to go to church there, even though it's our "home" church. It's just soooo different from our church. Kinda stuffy, and formal, even though they don't think they are. but... it will be good to sit and watch, listen, and learn. Then we'll head back home (hopefully). It's nice to come back to Buda, but I miss my regular routine.

peace,
Danno

No comments: