Thursday, December 15, 2005

Too Busy

Okay, I'll go ahead and say it... I hate Christmas. Not that I hate Christ; not that I hate what Christmas is supposed to be about; not that I hate family and friends getting together or celebrations or programs or parties of any kind. I hate that everyone is so busy around Christmas time. Especially me.

I have so much to do I don't even know what I need to be doing right now. So I stopped. I'm just going to sit and blog here for a bit.

I hate all the discussions over whether some churches should close on Christmas or not. You know, don't we have anything else to do other than criticize and point the finger at what someone else is doing (which is exactly what I'm doing, I guess). I mean, yes, my church is going to have our usual service on Christmas day (we cancelled Sunday School though). I even gave in to the pressure to have a Christmas Eve service. Personally, I think we should have worship services on Christmas day. And you know what... people WILL be having services on Christmas day. So what if some people are not. I don't know what it's like running those churches. And I don't care.

I was reading another blog which was solely about this subject - and someone quoted the lyrics to an old Petra song:

We're on another witch hunt
Looking for evil wherever we can find it
Off on a tangent hope the LOrd don't mind it

We're on another witch hunt
Taking a break from all our gospel labor
On a crusade but we forgot our Savior


Which reminds me of another rant I'm sick of... all the people making a fuss over whether we say "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays." WHO CARES! Is this stuff really worth arguing over? Does it really make a difference in anyone's life? It's like whether we should include certain words in the pledge of allegiance. As a Christ-follower, I don't think we should even say the stinking pledge of allegiance. Or whether we have flags in our churches; or whether the Ten Commandments are hung on a wall; or... you know, I could go on like this for hours.

I guess I'm tired of Christians being known as people who do nothing but whine and bitch. Or, better yet, I'm tired of Christians BEING people who do nothing but whine and bitch!

Do we really think that if we don't go on these crusades the church is going to lose? Do we have that little trust in God to keep things together? Sometimes I think it's more a case of... if we can occupy our time with nonsense like this, we'll be so busy, and we'll think we have an excuse for not doing more "Christ-like" things. But... maybe this whole post is just my excuse... to keep from finishing my sermon, or calling someone, or sending a note, or doing something constructive.

I really hate that people are too busy. I hate sitting here alone.

Happy Holidays

No comments: