Wednesday, June 28, 2006

a.k.a. "Found"

I finished Jim Henderson's book "a.k.a. Lost". Two things towards the end that stuck out to me:

1. A quote from George Barna:
"It is amazing that we live in a period during which people are more interested in spirituality than at any time in the past half century, yet they are seeking answers to their spiritual questions and needs from sources other than Christian churches. The American public is sending a clear message to Christian leaders: Make Christianity accessible and practical or don't expect their participation."

I don't doubt that this is true... but it is soooo depressing. Partly because I feel that I have tried and tried and tried, and it's not working. And I am afraid I am getting burned out. Honestly, sometimes I wonder if I need to LEAVE the church, or at least quit being a pastor, to have an impact for Christ. That's a really sad statement on my mental outlook, I know.

2. On p. 142 he explains the values that inform 'Ordinary Attempts.' These values are:
- Think small. Don't change the world, just change something.
- Say "wow." Make a big deal out of small stuff.
- Do what's doable. It's all you're going to do anyway.
- Count what matters. Conversations, not conversions.
- Be yourself. It will intrigue people.

Yeah. These are values I need to value more.

At the end of the book they suggest paying a non-Christian to attend your church and fill out a survey. I would LOVE to do this, and have actually tried. I just can't find anyone willing to do so. Maybe I need to try again.

I think maybe my biggest need is to get around some non-Christians. I really have no regular contact, or have built no relationships there. That's probably what I need to do. But if I can be honest... I'm mostly just tired, and not interested. Lord, help me.

No comments: