Friday, September 01, 2006

Connections


I spent parts of the last few days trying to reconcile Isaac's remaining cd's with their respective cd cases, and the inserts that go with. Normally when he gets a cd, he takes the cd out, takes out the insert to read it, and then it all kind of just "lands" wherever. There's not a lot of regard for that future someday when you might want to organize things... put things "back together."

That's probably how much of life is too, isn't it? I mean, how often do we think about the future consequences of our actions? Every now and then I will meet someone and I will realize, "Hmm, I think I stood in front of this person at the check-out line once. I wonder if I was gracious to them?" Or I remember the time I had a couple come to church once, and he worked at the video store I frequented - was I nice to him?

And it's not just our relationships that may come back to haunt us. How about our "stuff"? I need to mow the lawn in a few minutes... while I'm mowing, do I just worry about getting it DONE, or do I take extra care so as to insure the longevity of the mower? Am I a good steward with my car - keeping it maintained properly to help it hold value; do I maintain the house; the computer; the dog for-cryin'-out-loud?!

And let's not stop there, but how about our environment - the world!? Are we concerned about the condition we leave it in, the effect the things we do will have on the future?

Just some things to think about. It can seem like a waste of time - at the time - to take a few extra minutes to be nice, to be thoughtful, to be proactive, to be care-ful... but in the long run, it may save us a great deal in the end.

Of couse, as I think about all those cd cases now neatly put away... I think about Jesus "making all things new." Isn't that a great thought? He can take the pieces of our lives, and put them all back together. How grateful are we for that...

Peace, friends. It sounds like a revolution is brewing.

4 comments:

JAH said...

If we could only realize that time spent is time invested. I'm afraid in my life that time spent is wasted with no chance of a return on my investment - for someone else or myself. Definitely something to think about...

Debs said...

Great thought. I know Jesus has put my life back together. At the time I was NOT aware it was "broken".

Mary said...

Good thoughts... If only we take extra care of certain situations throughout the day, Jesus wouldn't need to put so many broken pieces back together later.

dan said...

Jah, Debs, & Mert,
Thanks for sharing. Good points by all of you.
peace,
Dan