Monday, December 04, 2006

The Books of 2006

These are the books I read this year:

- Traveling Light, Eugene Peterson
- No Perfect People Allowed, John Burke *
- The Sacred Way, Tony Jones *
- The Lord’s Harvest and the Rural Church, Kent R. Hunter
- The Last Word and the Word After That, Brian D. McLaren
- To Own A Dragon: Reflections on Growing Up Without A Father, Donald Miller *
- The Secret Message of Jesus, Brian D. McLaren *
- a.k.a. “Lost”, Jim Henderson
- Praying With The Church, Scot McKnight *
- Simply Christian: Why Christianity Makes Sense, N.T. (Tom) Wright
- The Irresistible Revolution, Shane Claiborne *
- Messy Spirituality (again), Mike Yaconelli *
- The Present Future (again), Reggie McNeal *
- Discover Your Windows, Kent R. Hunter (in process)
- The Jesus Creed, Scot McKnight (in process)

The "*" denotes recommended reading. I would say the one's that had the biggest impact on me, personally, would be: (1) "No Perfect People Allowed"; (2) "Praying With the Church"; (3) "The Sacred Way"; (4) "The Irresistible Revolution"; and (5) "To Own A Dragon". It's not that others weren't good too, but I can remember how I "felt" when reading these 5, and I liked how they made me feel, like, attitudinally or 'in my spirit.' (if that makes sense).

I guess all these books are on church leadership, or spiritual growth anyway. I'd have to say "No Perfect People Allowed" was my favorite. But, man, next year I might need to read something just for fun, huh?

No comments: