Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Michigan music

Last night we were priviliged to see Daisy May and Seth Bernard (at right), along with Laura Bates and Brandon Foote (below). I'd never heard of any of them, but was most pleasantly surprised. My gosh, Laura has THE most beautiful voice - and talented musically (all of them were); and Brandon was quite the mandolin/guitar player. Miss May is a combination flower/songbird - who also plays a sweet fiddle and guitar (when it stays plugged in). For me personally, Seth stole the show. He plays this ooooold acoustic guitar that's wired in such a cool way - gives it this deep, deep hollow-body electric grungy sorta sound - and... I dunno... he just knows how to get emotion outta that box.

It was a fun evening. Laura & Brandon opened, but the four of them played quite a bit together, and mixed and matched at various times. It was almost as fun to feel the vibe of their friendship as to listen to their music.

Evenings like this always bring me to the realization that - while I am able to make music - I am NOT a musician. These people have music in their blood. I could have listened to them forever.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

...but sometimes, you're a poet. Seriously.

dan said...

Robin,
Thanks for remembering. :)

Roses are red....

JAH said...

It was a great night - the music was good and I got to enjoy it with my bestest friend...