Monday, November 12, 2007

Creeds

I am not very creedally informed. Did you know there are three main creeds from the early Christian church? I'd heard of the first two, but have to admit to ignorance on the third. They are the: Apostles, Nicene, and Athanasian (you can see this one here).

What got me to thinking about these is a little book/journal I have from Navpress called 'Historic Creeds'. It was put together by Kenneth Boa, and the back cover states:
"In these pages, you'll become intimately acquainted with key passages of Scripture and important creeds through lectio divina, a time-honored process of reading, meditation, prayer, and contemplation. This unique, interactive 90-day devotional guide and personal journal offers thorough guidance on how to begin the practice of contemplative reading, equipping you to unlock the riches of these historic statements and permanently strengthen the foundation of your faith."

I see that I started through this book once before.... but didn't finish. I'm thinking about having a go at it again. Maybe. Tom got me thinking about the whole lectio divina thing when he started using it at his church on Wednesday nights. We'll see.

I believe....

2 comments:

Jim L said...

Yup, knew about all three. We Lutherans recite all three (not all in one service - they come into rotation in different places in the liturgical calendar). The Athanasian creed comes around the least frequently.

dan said...

That's interesting to know, Jim. You Lutherans get to have ALL the fun. :)