Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Getting the art out

I believe one of the more neglected groups in most churches are the artists. And I don't know if artistic ability is something God-given, learned, or both. But whatever the case may be, I think art is meant to be shared. Is there a better way to glorify God than by showing and sharing the gifts he's given us? So I put a blurb in the bulletin last week asking if anyone had any paintings, drawings, or other types of original artwork they would be interested in displaying in the church.

I just came in the door and found eight of the most beautiful canvas paintings of nature scenes, already framed, leaning against the wall across from my office. Very cool! I had actually already talked with this lady, and one other, because I knew they had some nice stuff. And I know there are more.

It's a funny thing, but there are several older women in our church who are phenomenal artists (mostly painting). I told them I might even hang up a couple of my drawings from my art class a few years ago (well, geez, I guess it was like 10 years ago now).

I originally got the idea for this when Jane and I were trying to figure out how to make the church basement look a little "homier," or at least not so much like a church basement. I was thinking of putting up some bookshelves, maybe painting some of the white stuff a different color, and then I thought... you know, we could make it a place to display our artists works. So... there ya go.

7 comments:

MR said...

You can kill two birds with one stone... have the artists paint the white stuff!

I'll send you that picture I drew of me sleeping on the couch with my hand in a bag of chips. It's an abstract work that's drank by the heart more than the eyes.

All good ideas... you just keep thinkin', Butch.

JAH said...

I think this is going to be really good. I am anxious for spring to get out the rollers and the brushes!

Anonymous said...

Look at mom - always wanting to paint something. I can't wait until she gets to paint my house one day. :)

When I first saw your post I thought of your drawings from art class and was glad to see you give yourself some credit. Those were really good.

I can't wait to come see how everything turns out. You're so creative!

Tom said...

Well......let's get that new digital camera to work and post some pics.

dan said...

MR,
Yeah, that pic with your hand in the bag-o-chips is classic. But so is the one of you playing video games!

JAH,
SPRING? We have to wait until then? Why not yesterday? :)

Carrie,
Hopefully that house won't be coming anytime soon. ;)

Tom,
Hey, I just posted a picture of the treadmill. Doesn't that look artistic?

Thanks for the comments, everyone!

Whisky Prajer said...

Danno - good on you, man! Bringing out the artists in your congregation is good for everyone.

dan said...

Thanks Darrell. Even though you probably don't want to hear about cameras at the moment. :\