Monday, November 24, 2008

The church candy dish

I got some new candy for the church candy dish this week. Cinnamon Star Brites, two kinds of Lifesavers, and Dum Dum pops. I have usually bought generic candy, and I know one thing, this stuff SMELLS a lot better.

One of the first things I did when I became a pastor was put out a little candy dish for our Sunday gatherings. I also noticed on a visit to the Philharmonic that they had Halls cough drops set out. You know how people are always coughing at church and concerts and stuff. So we put out a dish with cough drops too. It just seemed like such a simple thing to do to make a subtle difference in the mood and atmosphere on Sunday mornings. You know, we don't have to be all sour-faced and serious all the time. How 'bout if we actually enjoyed one another's company while we worshiped God? I don't know. Sometimes I think we take ourselves way too serious, and we just need to lighten up a bit. This is something that costs hardly nothing, and many people wouldn't even notice if it wasn't there, but I think it helps a little.

Sure, we have coffee and cookies and stuff too, but it's not the same as, "Hey, lets have a piece of candy and worship God together." :)

No comments: