Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Election coverage

I was at the church at 5 this morning making coffee for the election workers and voters (since our church building is a polling place). We have a table set up with coffee and cookies and stuff for people who come in to vote. So far it's been going well. We were on the third pot of coffee at 8 am; the sixth by 9. One of the workers brought a thing of barbecue for lunch and they just made me one, so that's what I'm doing now. I also just had a guy in a southern gospel group give me one of their cd's and ask if they could play at our church. I said I'd have to check our schedule. That might take a while.

At 5:15 am someone came in and wanted to vote. They told him he had to wait until 6. At 5:50 people were lined up out the front door waiting. This has by far been the busiest election since we've been a polling place. I finally went in and voted at 9 am when there was a slight lull. At that time they said about half of the 290 registered voters in our precinct had already voted. That's probably more than usually vote the whole day normally. I can't imagine what it's like in the city.

I had a lady call this morning and complain about the election signs out in front of the church. She said they were offensive to her and didn't think they were supposed to be at polling places. I told her I just worked here, but that they had always had them for every election we've been involved in. Of course someone stuck a stinking McCain/Palin sign in my front yard. Something must have happened to it though, because it's no longer there. You can see from the picture above that the Republicans are all on the church side of the road and the Democrats are all across the street. However shortly after I took the picture someone moved them over to the church side. I'm glad they did it, as it makes the church look more neutral... which I think we are.

So far it's been pretty exciting. I am going to try not to watch the news today, 'cause I don't really want to know how things are going. But I would like to try to get Senator Obama to stop out at our place while he's in Indiana! Wouldn't that be something.

Oh... I almost forgot. Last night when they were setting things up they had a minor freak-out because they couldn't get the election machines to work. Ha! By the time I got in there they had figured it out though. Now THAT would have been something.

peace out; and in.

No comments: