Thursday, January 22, 2009

Grocery prices

Last Sunday morning I was informing people of our "Soup-er Bowl Sunday" deal where we're encouraging people to bring a can of soup (or something) to church on Feb. 1 (the date of the Super Bowl) so we can donate it to Community Harvest Food Bank in FW. I made a comment that a can of soup is only like 33 cents, so everybody ought to be able to bring one... and everyone laughed at me. I didn't mind the laughter, in fact, I think it's good... but it did get me to wondering just how much groceries do cost. Jane and I grocery shop together all the time, but I never bother to look at the price of anything. So tonight while she was at class, I decided to go scope out some prices. Here's what I got:
  • Hamburger Helper - $1.44
  • (2) Mac & Cheese @ .50 each - $1.00
  • Saltine crackers - $.98
  • Generic tomato soup - $.54
  • Generic chicken noodle soup - $.54
  • Campbell's tomato soup - $.60
  • 4-pack of Ivory bar soap - $2.44
  • Scott toilet paper - $2.68
I also bought some medicine for Bogie that was $7.47 (more than anything else). So minus Bogie's medicine I got all that for only $11.

Suggested items they are looking for include: boxed cereal, macaroni or pasta, spaghetti sauce, noodles, saltine crackers, flour, canned fruits & vegetables, hamburger helper, tuna helper, instant mashed potatoes, macaroni & cheese, sugar, boxed meals, soups, toilet paper, disposable diapers, soap, deodorant, shampoo & conditioner, clothing detergent, and canned meats.

No comments: