Wednesday, January 07, 2009

A new creed (united church of canada)

Here is another creed that I was not familiar with. I like the emphasis that life is not just about "us." We live in a world with others; God is with us; we are called to be and do something beyond ourselves. It's very contrary to the message that I just need to accept Jesus into my heart and all will be well with me. This is a good one, I think.
A New Creed

We are not alone,
we live in God's world.
We believe in God:
who has created and is creating,
who has come in Jesus,
the Word made flesh,
to reconcile and make new,
who works in us and others by the Spirit.
We trust in God.
We are called to be the Church:
to celebrate God's presence,
to live with respect in Creation,
to love and serve others,
to seek justice and resist evil,
to proclaim Jesus, crucified and risen,
our judge and our hope.
In life, in death, in life beyond death,
God is with us.
We are not alone.
Thanks be to God.

"A New Creed" from Voices United: The Hymn and Worship Book of the United Church of Canada, United Church Publishing House, 2003 reprint, p. 918.

3 comments:

Whisky Prajer said...

Hey -- welcome to my church, neighbor! I must admit I'm quite fond of most of our liturgy, even as I sometimes miss the Anabaptist stuff I was raised in.

Anonymous said...

i like this.

dan said...

Yes, God bless Canada. I am pretty liturgically ignorant, so it's all pretty cool to me still.

Thanks, you two.