Thursday, April 23, 2009

Pencil sketches

Last night while looking for something else I stumbled across one of the sketch pads from my Intro. to Drawing class 12 years ago. I was only taking the class to fill an art requirement, but it turned out to be one of my favorite college classes ever (even better than Rock Music Styles). I remember I really hit it off with the teacher. He and his wife spent a lot of time in Nepal, and I don't know if he was an atheist or just not a Christian, but we had some innaresting conversations (in a good way). I would always show up early for class so we could chat. I even visited his personal studio, where I remember he had a rather large mural of his wife, nude and hanging on a cross (just a tad awkward). If I remember correctly they both taught at the university and lived in a cabin in the woods with no electricity or running water. Anyway, these are a few of my drawings. Nothing spectacular, but I've looked for them before and never knew where they were. We don't have a scanner, so I just took pictures of them with my camera. I believe the top two were shading exercises, and the bottom one was my final. I assume if you click on the pic it will enlarge.

5 comments:

Jim L said...

I really like the third one. Very cool.

JAH said...

I am glad our kids got their artistic ability from you.

Tom said...

I thought I would get the psychological report back later today but they just called to say it will take a bit longer. They said something about being disturbed, very disturbed. :)

Joan Baumgartner Brown said...

Wow. These are pretty awesome. I'm impressed.

dan said...

Thanks for the "nice" comments, folks.