Saturday, May 09, 2009

Bookstore buy

On my day off yesterday I made a trip to one of the local Christian book superstores. Though it's not quite as super as it used to be since they had to rent out some space to help pay the bills. But anyway... I kinda splurged. I needed to get some gifts for some things coming up, and I accomplished part of that. I also bought several books for myself (kind of).

Two books I read about this past week, and they sounded rather appealing. I can't remember who was talking about Ken Blanchard and Phil Hodges' book The Most Loving Place In Town, but I liked the sound of it, and the fact that it's only 161 pages, and it has a discussion guide in the back. I will put it on the back burner for a little bit. The other one I was looking for was Brennan Manning's new one, The Furious Longing of God. A friend just wrote a nice review and it sounds like something I could use right now. It's another good and short read at 136 pages. I may jump into this one soon.

While looking around I picked up two old classics Practicing His Presence and In His Steps. I don't believe I've ever read either one and I'd like too; plus I thought they would be nice additions to the church library.

Lastly I bought a Max-On-Life interactive Bible Study from Max Lucado. It's on 'Gaining a New Attitude on Life.' I thought if nothing else Lady Jane and I could go through this ourselves (God knows we could use it). It comes with an audio cd right in the book, and then it has discussion questions and stuff. And it's only four lessons. Plus it looks like a children's book, which I thought was kinda cool (that's what caught my eye, actually).

I had just been thinking that maybe I should re-read some of my old Max Lucado books. I don't know how much of a theologian he is, but sometimes you just need to hear that you're loved and that everything is going to be alright, and that's what I remember about Max's books. So I may do that sometime this summer too.

1 comment:

JAH said...

Sounds like a great idea to me. I always kind of like Max Lucado books, too.