Saturday, May 02, 2009

Why we need missional churches

I have stated before my dislike for the word "missional." I think I am starting to warm to it though. I have never had a problem with the *idea* behind the missional church - it's just a funny thing I've had with the word itself. But after reading this short and simple post from Ben... yes, we need missional churches. Count me in.

Ben quoted Kennon Callahan in his post "Goodbye churched culture." Kennon said:
A churched culture is not so much defined as a culture in which a certain statistical percentage of the population is actively participating in church work... Rather, a churched culture is a culture marked by the presence of a persistent, pervasive, major feeling among the people that the church is important.

I couldn't agree more. And I couldn't agree more with Ben's response: "I think it's safe to say that even in Fort Wayne [popularly known as the "city of churches"], this kind of culture is on its way out, and in some places is gone completely. What we have now is a mission field. Thus the need for missional churches."

Amen and amen.

Peace out; and in.

No comments: